Return to blog

Understanding second home insurance

Whether you own a cottage, a house or a seasonal rental, insurance for your second home is essential. It offers protection not only for your property, but also for your third-party liability. Whether you’re talking about named perils or all risks, it’s important to choose insurance that meets your specific needs. Depending on the particular features of your property and the length of time it is unoccupied, insurance may also cover items such as docks, spas or sheds. Insuring your second home isn’t just an obligation, it’s a peace of mind.

What’s the difference between primary and secondary residence insurance?

Second-home insurance differs from primary-home insurance. The frequency of occupancy, the type of use (rental, personal vacation, etc.) and specific risks (such as prolonged unoccupancy) are all factors that influence the terms of your insurance contract.

  • Frequency of occupancy: Some insurance policies offer unoccupancy clauses. If your home is unoccupied for a certain length of time (for example, 90 consecutive days), compensation may be suspended.
  • Type of use: The use of your home (year-round, seasonal, rental, etc.) determines the type of coverage you need. For example, a rented residence generally requires specific insurance coverage.
  • Specific risks: Prolonged absence can increase the risk of burglary, fire or undetected water damage. These risks must be taken into account in your contract.

It is therefore essential to discuss these factors with your insurance broker, so that you can adjust your coverage accordingly.

Protect your cottage with the right insurance

To protect your cottage with the right insurance, there are several key elements to consider. The first thing to do is to define precisely the type of use you make of your second home: is it used year-round, seasonally or occasionally?

  • If you use your cottage all year round, you may be offered an extended coverage package, offering more comprehensive protection.
  • For seasonal use, insurance companies may offer specific contracts adapted to this lower frequency of occupation.

In addition, attention to the specific details of your cottage is essential. For example, the type of heating used, the cottage’s accessibility or the presence of additional features (spa, dock, shed) can influence the terms of your insurance contract.

Don’t hesitate to ask a Fort Insurance broker for advice on comparing offers and choosing the one that best suits your needs.

Insuring a seasonal rental property

Renting out your second home on a seasonal basis requires appropriate insurance coverage. Conventional insurance policies don’t usually cover temporary rentals. Various options are available, such as home insurance for second homes or seasonal rentals, or specialized cottage insurance if your property is a cottage.

It’s crucial to consider the coverage offered by these policies. Some cover damage to the house and its valuables, but also loss of rent in the event of a loss that prevents you from renting out your property. Another essential point is that the owner’s civil liability may be included in these contracts.

Second home insurance quote

To obtain an insurance quote for your second home, several factors need to be taken into account. It’s essential to assess the value of the property in your home, including valuable items such as works of art and jewelry. The type of residence (cottage, apartment, house) and its geographical location can also influence the amount of the insurance premium.

  • The surface area of the property and the number of rooms are also important criterias.
  • The heating system can also be a factor, particularly in the event of fire risk.
  • Finally, the frequency of occupancy is a crucial factor: a home unoccupied for long periods may present specific risks, such as theft or water damage.

The difference between primary and secondary residences

Primary and secondary residences have distinct characteristics that impact their insurance coverage. On the one hand, the main residence is the dwelling occupied most of the year by the owner. It is generally covered by standard home insurance, which takes into account the common risks associated with regular occupation.

A second home, on the other hand, is a dwelling that is not permanently occupied, and is exposed to specific risks such as burglary or undetected water damage. For this reason, second-home insurance is often more expensive. What’s more, certain aspects specific to this type of property, such as seasonal rental or prolonged absence, may require additional coverage.

Finally, the difference between these two types of residence can also have an impact on taxation. The principal residence generally benefits from more tax advantages.

The role of insurance for non-occupant owners

Non-occupant owner insurance plays a key role in protecting your second home. This specific coverage is dedicated to properties not occupied by their owner, whether the residence is rented, vacant or occupied free of charge.

It offers protection against claims or disputes not covered by tenant’s or condominium insurance. This coverage is crucial in the event of damage caused by or to the tenant, and can cover rental income.

What’s more, it generally includes third-party liability coverage for tenants, third parties and neighbors, as well as building and maintenance defects. The usual risks such as fire, water damage, glass breakage, theft and vandalism are also covered.

So it’s well worth considering PNO insurance to optimize the protection of your property.

Home insurance: covering your second home

Insuring your second home is just as essential as insuring your main residence. However, it presents specific risks that require adapted coverage. Whether your second home is lived in regularly throughout the year or only at certain times of the year, these details influence the type of coverage you need.

  • Home insurance for second homes generally covers property and civil liability, and offers protection against fire, theft and vandalism.
  • If you plan to rent out your second home, non-occupant homeowner’s insurance may be more suitable.
  • Finally, if your second home is a chalet, there are specific insurance policies for this type of property.

Life insurance coverage for your second home

Life insurance coverage for a second home must take into account a number of factors. The use you make of your second home is a determining factor in the type of coverage you need.

  • If you live in your second home regularly throughout the year, you’ll need cover similar to that for your main residence.
  • If your second home is used seasonally, you’ll need cover adapted to this type of occupation.

The location of your second home can also influence the type of cover you need. For example, a home located in an area at risk of natural disasters such as flooding or river overflow will require specific protection.

You should also take into account the value of the property in your second home. In the event of a claim, a well-covered policy can help you replace these items without having to bear all the costs.

The benefits of insuring your second home

Insuring a second home offers many advantages that add significant value to your real estate investment.

  • Financial protection: In the event of property damage such as fire, burglary, water damage and storms, insurance can cover repair or replacement costs, protecting your investment.
  • Liability coverage: Insurance can also provide cover for accidents that may occur on the property, protecting the owner against potential liability claims.
  • Peace of mind: Insurance provides peace of mind in knowing that your home is protected, even when you’re not on site.
  • Rental flexibility: Some insurance policies allow you to rent out your second home for short periods, providing an additional source of income.

Bear in mind that the benefits vary according to the particulars of the insurance chosen and the profile of the owner. It is therefore essential to ask your broker questions to understand the terms of your insurance policy.

Criterias for choosing secondary home insurance

Choosing insurance for your second home requires an understanding of the specific risks associated with this type of property. Here are a few points to bear in mind:

  • Intermittent occupancy: Second homes are often left unoccupied for long periods. This can increase the risk of burglary, vandalism or undetected damage (such as a water leak).
  • Type of residence: Whether it’s a cottage, country house or city apartment, each type of residence presents its own insurance challenges.
  • Location: If your second home is located in a high-risk area (for example, one prone to flooding or earthquakes), you’ll need coverage accordingly.
  • The value of the property: The value of your second home and its contents must be properly assessed to ensure adequate compensation in the event of a claim.
  • Liability needs: If you rent out your second home or host guests there, good liability coverage is essential.

Take these factors into account when choosing a secondary home insurance policy that offers you optimum protection.

Protection against risks specific to second homes

The intermittent nature of second homes exposes them to specific risks that call for special attention. Prolonged vacancy, for example, increases the property’s vulnerability to incidents such as undetected water damage or vandalism.

What’s more, the location of a second home can also give rise to specific risks. A home located in an area prone to natural disasters such as floods, forest fires or earthquakes will require appropriate protection.

It’s crucial to choose an insurance policy that offers specific coverage for these risks. For this, we recommend talking to an insurance broker, who can help you assess your protection needs and adjust your coverage accordingly.


Talk to a broker

Contact us

Attentive to your needs